At the May 16, 2017 Annual School Budget Vote and Election of School Board Members, there will be four (4) at-large Board of Education vacancies on the ballot. The three candidates receiving the highest vote totals shall each be elected to a full three-year term to commence July 1, 2017 and expire June 30, 2020; and the candidate receiving the fourth-highest vote total shall be elected to a term to commence May 17, 2017 and expire June 30, 2018. The seats currently held by Chris Cerrone, Michael Connors, and Jennifer Sullivan expire June 30, 2017. The seat currently held by Tammy Sherwood (who was appointed to fill a vacancy that resulted from a Board member’s resignation) expires May 16, 2017.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the S-GI Board of Education, a petition and informational packet may be downloaded from the website, or a hard copy of the petition and informational packet may be obtained from the District Clerk at the District Office Building located at 307 Newman Street, Springville, New York, beginning on Wednesday, February 1, 2017, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Petitions must be returned to the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 17, 2017.
Qualifications for School Board membership are:
- Must be a qualified voter of the school district.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a resident of the district for at least one year prior to the election.
- Cannot be an employee of the Board of Education to which membership is sought.
- The only member of your family (that is, cannot be a member of the same household) on the Springville-Griffith Institute CSD Board.
- Not hold another incompatible public office.
- Have not been removed from a school district office within one (1) year preceding the date of appointment or election to the Board.
All petitions require at least 25 signatures from eligible voters of the district.
Qualified voters for signatures on the petition:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a resident of the district for thirty days next preceding the election to be held on May 16, 2017.
All petitions are due to the District Clerk on or before Monday, April 17, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Kathy Tucker, District Clerk, at 592-3230 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
There is a free workshop for Prospective School Board Members sponsored by the Erie County Association of School Boards (ECASB) scheduled for Saturday, March 4, 2017 at the Erie 1 BOCES Campus located at 355 Harlem Road, West Seneca, New York. For more information and/or to register for this free workshop, please call the Erie County Association of Schools Boards (ECASB) at 821-7297 or e-mail Shirley Nowak at the Erie County Association of Schools Boards at firstname.lastname@example.org.