Springville-Griffith Institute Central School District
Candidates for Membership on the Board of Education
At the May 18, 2021 Annual School Budget Vote and Election of School Board Members, there will be two (2) at-large Board of Education vacancies on the ballot. The two candidates receiving the highest vote totals shall each be elected to a full three-year term to commence July 1, 2021 and expire June 30, 2024. The seats currently held by Daniel Miess and Tyler Sullivan expire June 30, 2021.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the S-GI Board of Education, a petition and informational packet may be downloaded from the SGI website. A hard copy of the petition and informational packet may be obtained from the District Clerk in the Superintendent’s Office located in the Middle School at 267 Newman Street, Springville, New York, beginning on Monday, March 1, 2021, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Petitions and other related documents must be returned to the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 19, 2021.
Qualifications for School Board membership are:
- Must be a qualified voter of the school district.
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a resident of the district for at least one year prior to the election.
- Cannot be an employee of the Board of Education to which membership is sought.
- The only member of your family (that is, cannot be a member of the same household) on the Springville-Griffith Institute CSD Board.
- Not hold another incompatible public office.
- Have not been removed from a school district office within one (1) year preceding the date of appointment or election to the Board.
All petitions require at least 25 signatures from eligible voters of the district. **At the time of writing, we are awaiting guidance from Governor Cuomo as to whether signatures will be required on petitions or if candidates will be allowed to self-nominate. We will publish additional information as it becomes available.**
Qualified voters for signatures on the petition:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a resident of the district for thirty days next preceding the election to be held on May 18, 2021.
All petitions are due to the District Clerk on or before Monday, April 19, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Tucker, District Clerk, at 592-3230 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a free workshop for Prospective School Board Members sponsored by the Erie County Association of School Boards (ECASB) scheduled for Saturday, March 27, 2021 to be held virtually. For more information and/or to register for this free workshop, please call Kathy Tucker, District Clerk, at 592-3230 or via email at email@example.com.
The District is closely monitoring all current and future legal developments as they pertain to District elections and budget votes. Due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus and Governor Cuomo’s executive orders mandating the closure of all schools and modifications of school elections, the deadlines and procedures stated herein may change as required by law or consistent with further state guidance. All District residents are encouraged to closely monitor the District’s website at www.springvillegi.org for the most up-to-date information concerning the District’s annual vote.