Congratulations to Ian Baker as this past weekend he was named a 2016 Connolly Cup Finalist!
During his senior campaign Ian rushed for 1,495 yards and 19TDs, in addition to having 5 receptions for another 94 yards. On the defensive side of the ball he had 60 tackles as an OLB with 2 sacks and a safety!
This is the first Connolly Cup nomination for Springville-Griffith Institute since 1995 when Jeff Piscitelli was nominated as a defensive back!
For his career Baker helped set 8 school records (6 individual, 2 team)
1. Most Career Yards rushing: 2,829 (Broke Mark Rendell’s mark of 2,311 set ’94-’96)
Along the way to the number one position, Baker surpassed the career marks of Chris George (1989 Connolly Cup Winner), Tony Baker (1980 Connolly Cup Winner), and Mark Rendell (1996 NYS Player of the Year)
2. Most Rushing TDs in a game: 6 (Set twice; 2015 Southwestern, 2016 Fredonia)
3. Most Career Rushing TDs: 42 (Broke Mark Rendell’s mark of 29 set ’94-’96)
4. Most Career Total TDs: 43 (Broke Devin White-Kearns’ mark of 36 set 2013-’14)
5. Most Total TDs in a Game: 6 (Tied twice with Devin White-Kearns 2014, Rick Rudolph 1971)
6. First Springville player ever to have back-to-back 1,000+ yards rushing in a season
7. Helped set a team record of 512 yards rushing in a game v. Depew in 2016
8. Helped set a team record of 561 yards of total offense v. Southwestern in 2015
Above all of the records and acclaim, we are most excited about this recognition because it represents the efforts of our entire program this past season. The efforts of 29 varsity football players this year were great, especially our offensive unit that comprised of Josh Steff, John Domes, Mike Hannon, Austin Coon, Trevor Bunch, Lexus Pollard, Dan Wirfel, Marcus James, Topher Elkins, and Connor O’Brien who all worked towards this success!
Congrats to Ian and all the Griffs!
The winner of the Connolly Cup will be presented on December 3rd at Ilio Dipaolo’s
Team, Effort, Tradition
SGI MS/HS Social Studies
Varsity Football Coach